Tuesday, June 19, 2012

VALUES THAT GO BEYOND RUPEES AND CENTS







As a financial officer there are many things to attend to including quarterly statements, monitoring of the project funds, disbursements of requisitions and control of cash flow. With such a busy schedule it doesn’t permit the accounts branch to interact with those who come to the organization for various reasons. What I know however is that everyday someone is helped through some kind of relief assistance.

One day when I was rushing to work, entered the office and noticed a young woman with a backpack carrying a small disabled child. Since there was no subject related officer available, I tried to find out who she was and why she has come to the office. She slowly unfolded her heartbreaking story.
She was from a good family married a soldier without her parents consent and therefore lost connection with the family. The couple was happy for some time until the child was born with a disability and she noticed a gradual change in her husband’s behavior before he eventually left her. She had been struggling for survival and her circumstances did not allow her to go through the judicial process.

After listening to her story, my conscience did not permit me to be a passive listener. I have helped her several times referring her to the relevant officers and as a result she received support to start a self-employment program through the donation of a sewing machine. Today, she is a self-employed woman who lives with courage and hope. She cares her child with special needs, maintains close relationships with the Women’s Development Centre (WDC) and is happy with the progress of her child.

This is just one story among so many and a story that I personally encountered. Why am I sharing this story? As I mentioned earlier, the role of a financial officer is to look into organizational matters through technical methods and procedures. When compared with humanitarian aspects, it can be seen as monotonous and mechanical. Personally I want to be flexible but sometimes my role does not allow me to do this due to certain problems. When I assess my work at WDC the organization culture forces me to be flexible due to the needs. Although I cannot deviate from the conventional accounting procedure, I have learned to be flexible and assist someone with a desperate need. Sympathy and empathy blend with generosity and faith, creating a challenge as well as satisfaction to my work which has more value than rupees and cents.

I am surprised at the way we work and there have been instances when we have to come to the bottom of our financial resources. Yet it has and will not affect the work we do with affected people. My rational thinking may not permit me to write like this, yet the reality of my experience is from the great faith of my directress and her positive results. We are expected to be a provider for so many who are in need. This is the experience I have gained through my work at WDC for the past two decades.

By Dhammika Perera
Accountant
WDC

No comments:

Post a Comment