Thursday, March 13, 2014

Volunteers at WDC

A Valuable Experience - Sri Lanka by Sharona Otten

I'm very grateful to madam for having founded this place for all the girls and women who need a fine and safe place to live; some girls for a short time, other girls for a longer time. There are sad stories behind the girls. WDC is a place where they can clear their minds.

Sir Ivan is one of the staff members who offers many different activities to the girls three times a week and I'm glad that I could help Ivan. He sings with them, plays drama and plays many different games. These are things that make the girls feel happy. To see them happy, made me happy as well.

There are many other staff members who do hand work classes, cookery lessons, counseling and taking care of them 24 hours a day. Wow, they are all doing a very good job!

Besides helping Ivan, I did creative activities with the girls to develop their creativity and social-emotional development. We made flowers, we made bracelets, we baked muffins, we made beautiful things of clay, we made drawings and we painted the library, which was so much fun! When I went back to Holland, I gave everybody a painting picture of themselves, what they liked very much!

After a few weeks, this place felt like home to me. I spent time with the girls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I learned some Sinhala from them; we played the board game Carrom (and I lost always). We celebrated Christmas and New Year together with candles and fireworks; we watched Sri Lankan television (Sinhala programs); we drank tea together, they taught me how to eat with my hands. We came up with a new game called "Mosquito Fight"(and I was the biggest mosquito of course); we laughed a lot and I think the most important thing: I gave them my love and they gave me their love...

I had a wonderful time with these beautiful girls. Just being together was so nice. I miss them. This experience has touched my heart. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be with these girls so close. I hope to come back to this beautiful place soon.

Ayubowan!

*****************

Volunteer Experience by Gabby Ansems

Ever since I was young I wanted to travel overseas and do voluntary work, so I could have a chance to experience other cultures. This year I was given the opportunity to make my dream come true in March 2013, when I was chosen to volunteer for 3 months at the WDC.

I was chosen by an organization called challenges Worldwide, to work as a volunteer physiotherapy trainer within the CBR section of the WDC because I work alongside physiotherapists in my job and I also have developed a lot of training in the past. The position was also supported by the Church of Scotland. Prior to leaving I spoke to the late Pearl Stephens on the telephone to ensure she was happy for me to come over. She described the organization briefly but said that the best thing to do would be to see it for myself.

I felt a little nervous arriving in a strange country without really knowing what to expect but Pearl was so correct when she said words couldn't describe the kind of experience I would have. It was a trip of lifetime for me. I was living away from my husband alone in a new country where I didn't speak the language, but from the very moment I arrived I felt welcome. Even though everyone had a full caseload they were always willing to assist me if I had a question or needed assistance in my role. The staff with strong English skills were vital to allowing me to develop my training sessions and deliver them too.

The other part of my time in Kandy involved trying to immerse myself as much as i could in Sri Lankan culture and learn all about all aspects of the WDC. I was lucky enough to be involved in some new year celebrations at the WDC as well as other festive occasions during my visit. My favourite sessions were usually to do with food as that is one of my main passions. I became a little more competent at eating rice and curry with my hands by the time I left and I learned to make some different typical dishes including dhal, pickles, curries, and string hoppers.

I was touched by the amazing work that everyone at the WDC does for communities in need all around Sri Lanka and how passionate everyone is about helping others. I spent countless hours talking to Mrs. Stephen about her life and how she developed the WDC, with the help of her staff, over the years. It amazed me that the vision of one woman could be so strong and have such foresight into areas of need in the community and the amazing generosity that Mrs. Stephen had.

She made me feel like part of the family from the very first day I arrived and I was devastated when I heard about her passing. I will never forget my time at the WDC or all the friends I made there. I will continue to follow the development of the organization keenly and support their vital work in any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment